There was a strong wind warning this morning and one could hear the trees swaying in the wind. We walked to the other side of the island that we were on and got a better view of what we would be paddling. We need to do a crossing and the waves were building. No need for us to leave our protected spot. Back to our cozy tent where we spent the morning sleeping and reading. Several times we checked out the conditions on the other side. Around 2 the winds seemed to be abating. The next big crux move is getting around Cape Caution and in order to do that we want to get as close to the point as possible. The weather seems to be unsettled so we want to take advantage of this lull, besides if we get around this island we can always turn back. There are also a couple of islands that we could take refuge if needed before we get all the way across to the mainland again. With this in mind we pack up and get ready to do the crossing. As we were preparing to cross over to the first set of islands a large cruise ship appears. we need to wait for it to go by and then we see another one on the horizon. This one also must be waited for.
The cruise ships go by and soon we are on our way once again!
We encountered some strong current as we crossed, but were able to make it into a place called Shelter Bay. It was a welcomed sight as we paddled into a protected cove with a beautiful sandy beach.
We unload our gear and I decide to take a picture of all the gear that we have unloaded from our boats.
No to mention it takes quite a bit of time to unload our boats when we arrive at low tide.
This place does seem to have it all. Some of the all we could do without. The campsites are in the woods and nailed to several trees are warnings about cougars in the area. We remember a NOLS course that was camped here and one of the instructors actually had her boot pulled off while she was in the tent by an aggressive cougar. The cougar would not leave and finally the course had to call for a boat to be evacuated as the weather was not conducive to travel. No fresh tracks are seen on the beach, but we take a large knife and bear spray to the tent with us. Tomorrow we would like to get as close to Cape Caution as we can. Cape Caution is quite exposed and swells can be large when they hit the shore. Lets hope we sleep well!!
Nautical miles traveled 10.7