Inland Passage 2016

June 16, 2016

It is another wet morning, with on and off visibility across the channel. There are drips everywhere. This has been a wet week. We need to wait for the tide to shift before we head out. We will be in an area where the flood and ebb meet so want to time our paddle where we will be near the switch when that happens. With that in mind we do not have to leave early. We wait for the flooding tide to get closer to our campsite, which will also make loading easier. Our hands look like prunes that never get to dry out. Our bodies mostly though are doing well and we are thankful for that. Around noon we packed our kayaks and headed out. With poor visibility and increased number of boats we hugged the shore until we were out of the channel.

 Views were limited today.

Views were limited today.

When we left the channel we had to do another crossing, from out of the fog appeared five boats. Fortunately the fog had lifted enough for the smaller boats to see us and the cruise ship was on the other side.

 Lots of boat traffic.

Lots of boat traffic.

With some wind to our backs and the currents also pushing us we were making good time today. We checked the charts and determined that if it worked we could set ourselves up well to get to Prince Rupert tomorrow.  Two factors would have to go well if that would to happen. One was that we would have to push to get to a campsite that had potential strong currents in the approach and tomorrow the seas would be calm enough to make a crossing to the town. We had already gone thru the ebb cycle of the tide and it had switched to flooding. The flood cycle was what we needed to get to our campsite. We had to smile as we felt like we were on a river going downstream. Not only were we getting a ride, the sun had come out and it looks like we might be able to dry some gear at the campsite we were aiming for. A beautiful sandy beach was our site tonight. Large logs that had washed ashore left enough space for our tent to be set up between them.

 Not being fans of sand camping as the sand, especially when our gear was damp sticks to everything. Today we were super happy to be here.

Not being fans of sand camping as the sand, especially when our gear was damp sticks to everything. Today we were super happy to be here.

The second factor of getting to Prince Rupert tomorrow was sea conditions. At least tonight, the sea has calmed and if the pattern stays we should be able to get there tomorrow.

 Calm seas

Calm seas

It was a good day in the paddling world. We were definitely working with the flows of the sea today.

Nautical miles traveled 22.0