Baja 2016

Jan. 26, 2016

This morning we woke up to the alarm. When that happens we know we are tired. We have been putting in some long paddling days recently. There is a strong west wind blowing which means we could probably go for several hours before needing to get off the water, but there is a hike nearby  and decided that only moving for a couple of hours is probably not worth it today. Back into the sleeping bags we go and the next thing we know it is 8:00. This time when we look out there is a lot of white water and the wind has turned to the North. It is a good day to stay on the land. Donna takes a walk down the beach and returns with several items to enhance the kitchen. We now have a crate that we can put our stove on which helps in sand management. Breakfast is our precooked potatoes with eggs. A coyote lets us know that it is in the area and so warned we put water and food in the kayaks before taking off for our hike. Taking off around 10:30 we are assuming by looking at the map we should be back in 3 hours.Lunch is packed, water bottles filled and sun protected clothing put on. We find the abandoned road that is on the map. This area was used during the Jesuits time and also in the early 1900's by a sugar cane ranch.  The road is mostly easy to follow and we assume that it will take us near the ruins. One guide book that we have calls it a mission, but later find out that is an abandoned ranch. After several hours and no obvious ranch we decided to find some shade and have lunch. Out comes humus, cheese, jicama and tortillas. Oh so good. We noticed some single tracks, most likely made by a motorcycle, but when it continues to go up the arroyo we know that is not what we want to follow. In order to get a better view we climb up a hill and Don spots some rock wall fences and irrigation canals. It is quite a complex system. And then in the midst of the wall fences we see the structure that we have been looking for. On the way to the ruins, we observe a stick that has been placed on a small rock wall. As we get closer we notice that bees are coming out of a hole nearby. On further observation we see it is a full on bee hive with honey comb. They do not seem to mind Don getting closer. I on the other hand give it some distance. Alas I am in the fly zone and a bee lets me know it. My clothes mostly protect so the sting is more superficial. We head down a steep walled arroyo and then up the other side until we finally arrive to our destination. It is a walk back in time as we marvel at the rock work that surrounds the building and goes for a long distance up the surrounding hills The building itself is also quite interesting. Someone took some time in designing this structure.  Hopefully we can find someone to answer our questions. Six hours later we are finally heading back. It was a good hike! We identified the ash throated flycatcher and even saw our first mushroom in Baja. Tonight we drank some nettle tea made from nettles on the ford camp in Alaska. Good memories of sitting in our kitchen with friends drinking tea. The wind is still blowing so currently it seems that we may be here for another day.